Best CBD Coffee of 2023 (Only Safe, Effective and Delicious Picks)
Do you find coffee leaves you jittery and anxious? Maybe the acidity upsets your stomach? Or are you just looking to add a dose of bliss to your morning routine? Whatever the reason, the combination of CBD and coffee can be the solution.
Since CBD is still so new and relatively unregulated, it’s easy for pushy marketing and slick ads to trick you into ineffective or — worse — unhealthy products. Don’t let that happen to you!
We’ve done our research, so we can guarantee these CBD coffee products are safe, effective, and delicious.
At A Glance:
- OUR TOP PICK: Green Roads Coffee
- GREAT VALUE: Chill CBD Coffee
- BEST ORGANIC: Buddha Beans Three Coffee Flight
The 9 Best CBD Coffee Brands in 2023
Consumers these days are demanding. They want a cup of coffee that’s more than just coffee; they want an interesting experience or a health-enhancing additive.
CBD-infused coffee has been snowballing in popularity, and for a good reason. Fans of the CBD coffee claim it eases the mind, relaxes the body, and soothes the soul.
|Green Roads CBD Coffee French Vanilla Hemp Flower||
|Strava Craft CBD Coffee||
|Buddha Beans Coffee Co Three Coffee Flight||
|Buddha Beans Burundi CBD||
|Pinnacle Hemp’s Full Spectrum||
|Strava Coffee Special Edition||
|Strava CBD Coffee Discovery Bundle||
Does that sound like something you’d enjoy? Keep reading for a CBD coffee review of our nine best CBD coffee picks this year.
1. Green Roads CBD Coffee French Vanilla Hemp Flower – Best Overall
Sometimes flavored coffees offer an overpowering wallop of flavor. Still, Green Roads CBD Coffee is a tasty exception, making it our favorite flavored CBD coffee of 2023. They’ve managed to achieve perfect balance by pairing sweetly fragrant French vanilla with earthy and herbaceous hemp, on top of the naturally bittersweet coffee.
The result is an easy-drinking flavored brew that will start your day off right.
Green Roads sources specialty beans from Colombia. In fact, they even go one step further in terms of quality. All their single-origin beans come from a single estate that’s home to generations of award-winning beans.
Their CBD extracts are produced from American grown hemp, sourced with the same exacting standards as the coffee beans. Because they purchase only the best hemp for each batch, every production run has a unique profile of cannabinoids.
The current shipment for Green Roads CBD Coffee offers 22 mg per serving, which is a relatively hefty dose of CBD. This CBD-infused brew calms the mind and energizes the body, a perfect way for any coffee lover to start the day.
It’s infused with organically grown broad-spectrum hemp extract, so it’s guaranteed free from THC but still offers the synergistic therapeutic benefits of a broad spectrum of cannabinoids. Each 12 oz bag has 250 mg of CBD, which translates to about 10 mg of CBD per serving, depending on how strong you make your coffee.
2. Strava Craft Coffee – Top Pick
Denver, Colorado, based Strava Craft Coffee has quickly distinguished themselves in the crowded CBD coffees market thanks to their high-quality coffee beans and trendy packaging (1).
Even Colorado’s coffee-loving hipsters can’t get enough of this stuff!
Strava has an avid following around the U.S., with plenty of users raving about its great taste and pleasant after-effects.
This CBD coffee is the perfect choice if you want to kick off your day with a relaxing dose of CBD but don’t want to make any sacrifices in the taste or quality of your morning brew. And that’s why it’s our top pick this year.
It’s not just CBD coffee; it’s great coffee that happens to have CBD.
This medium roast features specialty grade 100% Arabica beans harvested from Colombia and small-batch roasted by hand. They offer balanced flavors of milk chocolate and black cherry, rich but not powerfully sweet.
4. Buddha Beans Coffee Co Three Coffee Flight – Best Organic
There is no lack of evidence suggesting that organic farming offers environmental, socioeconomic, and health benefits, particularly when it comes to coffee (3).
If that’s a priority for you, look no further than Buddha Beans Coffee Co. They offer EXCLUSIVELY ORGANIC and ETHICALLY-SOURCED coffee beans. Their beans are roasted in-house and infused with organic, non-GMO hemp from Southern Oregon.
If you’re not sure of your preferences or just enjoy a bit of variety in your morning brew, buying the coffee flight is a no-brainer. You’ll get a small sampling of three of the company’s most popular single-origin coffee beans, so you can try them all and find your favorite. Each is available in either dark or medium roast and offers a mellow 12.5 mg of CBD per serving.
You’ll get to try:
- Colombia – a rich, smooth, and full-bodied coffee, with sweet flavors of white chocolate, caramel, and hazelnut. We can’t get enough of this one as a creamy latte.
- Mexico – similar to classic Mexican drinking chocolate, but far healthier, these Mexican beans offer notes of dark chocolate, hazelnut, and citrus.
- Ethiopia – a unique and complex coffee perfect for pour over brewing or CBD cold brew. We recommend opting for a lighter roast to best appreciate the flavors of caramel, green tea, jasmine, and lemon.
6. Buddha Beans Burundi CBD – Best CBD Ground Coffee
Buddha Beans coffee impressed us with their great coffee; the added CBD is just a nice bonus. The brand takes pride in sourcing exceptional single-origin coffee beans from top growing regions before infusing them with CBD from organic, non-GMO hemp grown in the USA.
Any Buddha Beans CBD coffee is worth your attention. But we chose to highlight the Burundi beans because they’re an unusual find in a market saturated with Colombian coffee. If you’re looking for a compelling flavor profile a little out of the ordinary, you’ve come to the right place.
The Burundi coffee is available as a dark or medium roast. In either case, you’ll enjoy notes of ripe fruit, sweet caramel, and a hint of spice. The darker roast yields a fuller-bodied brew, while the medium roast is lighter on the palate and more fruit-forward.
Buddha Beans coffees are available whole bean or pre-ground. Generally, we prefer buying whole bean coffee and grinding it ourselves for the freshest flavor. But Buddha Beans grinds to order and ships right to your door, so you can buy pre-ground coffee and trust that the flavors will arrive intact.
7. Pinnacle Hemp’s Full Spectrum – Best Full-Spectrum CBD
Full-spectrum CBD contains all the cannabinoids naturally occurring in the cannabis plant, rather than just the isolated cannabidiol. It’s still primarily CBD, but with trace amounts of other compounds, including up to 0.3% psychoactive THC. This type of CBD is popular because the synergistic effects of the many substances enhance its best qualities.
In short, this type of CBD is more than the sum of its parts.
If you’re in the market for this type of CBD coffee, our favorite is made by Pinnacle Hemp. We can’t help but agree with their slogan that it will be the “Pinnacle of Your Morning.”
Each bag of this CBD coffee starts with a premium medium roast blend of Colombian Arabica coffee beans, featuring caramel and nuts’ characteristic flavors. We particularly love this one as a CBD cold brew. They’re infused with 160 mg of CBD per 8 oz bag, or about 10 mg of CBD per cup.
8. Strava Coffee Special Edition – Best Decaf CBD Coffee
Strava’s Special Edition Decaf CBD Coffee is for when you want to max out on relaxation. It features double the CBD of their regular edition coffee with none of the caffeine.
It’s currently a LIMITED TIME OFFER, which they produced in response to customer demand. (Side note: very cool to see a company actually listening to customers.) If it’s popular enough, they’ve promised to make it a regular part of the line-up. So if you love this decaf as we do, drink up.
As with the rest of their coffee, Strava hasn’t skimped when it comes to quality sourcing. They’re making CBD for people who appreciate great coffee as much as they do the effects of CBD.
This decaf CBD-infused coffee is made from specialty hand-roasted 100% Arabica Colombian coffee beans. The beans are sugarcane decaffeinated, a typical process in countries where sugarcane is grown. It’s a smooth and easy-drinking medium roast with a bit more character than a standard Colombian brew. There’s a brown sugar sweetness that’s perfectly balanced with mandarin orange acidity.
It’s infused with organic broad-spectrum hemp extract. Each bag has 500 mg of CBD, which means the amount of CBD per cup is 20 mg.
9. Strava CBD Coffee Discovery Bundle – Best CBD Coffee Pods
Are you curious about CBD coffee but not sure where to start? A bundle pack is a great option for testing the waters. This 12-pack of K-Cups from Strava CBD features coffees with different CBD levels, so you can find the best dose for you. Plus, you save money by buying the set.
- Four intro-level medium roast pods (4 mg CBD)
- Four regular strength dark roast pods (10 mg CBD)
- Four maximum strength dark roast pods (20 mg CBD)
We love that Strava values great coffee as highly as quality CBD. The beans are 100% specialty-grade Arabica harvested in Colombia. The medium roast is a crowd-pleaser with flavors of milk chocolate and black cherry. The dark roast is bolder, with the longer roast bringing out notes of toasted marshmallow and cocoa nibs. In all cases, the CBD is derived from organic broad-spectrum hemp extract.
As coffee nerds by profession, we at Home Grounds aren’t huge fans of coffee pods. They tend to yield stale tasting coffee, and their negative environmental impact is nothing to scoff at. However, even we can appreciate the need for convenience on a hectic or low-energy morning. On those days when only a K Cup will do, Strava CBD is our top choice.
How to Choose the Best CBD Coffee
Choosing a CBD coffee is sort of like choosing two products in one. You want to pick the right dosage and type of CBD, but you also want a great tasting coffee.
Does that sound complicated? Don’t worry. This buyer’s guide has everything you need to know about CBD and coffee.
How much CBD do you want?
How much CBD you want in your cup of joe is a matter of personal preference. Most brands and coffee shops offer between 10 mg and 30 mg, but of course, this will vary depending on how strong you make your coffee.
We recommend starting with a low dose if it’s your first experience with CBD and then increasing gradually.
If you’re taking CBD on the advice of a doctor to manage a medical condition, then you probably know exactly the dose prescribed. In that case, we don’t suggest using coffee as your CBD source. Medical treatment requires dosages more accurate than CBD coffee can guarantee:
The milligram amount of CBD someone might require for his or her condition will not be consistent when delivered in a heated drink.
Recent research shows that a drink’s temperature impacts CBD’s effectiveness (5).
Some brands use what’s known as Nano CBD, and they’ll make this clear on the label. Nano CBD is extracted from hemp using a special process that makes the CBD soluble in water instead of the more common oil. This makes it easier for your body to absorb and means that you can take a smaller dose of Nano CBD to get the same effects.
What type of CBD do you want?
There are three main types of CBD: broad-spectrum, full-spectrum, and isolate. Each offers unique pros and cons, so be sure you know which you want when shopping for CBD coffee (6).
- Full-spectrum CBD contains all the compounds found in the plant, including THC, the psychoactive component. Although CBD is still far and away the dominant cannabinoid, this type contains trace amounts of hundreds of others. Recent research has shown that these compounds all work together to enhance the CBD’s therapeutic benefits, which is known as the “entourage effect.”
- CBD isolate is the purest form of the product. Extracted from hemp, it is only CBD with no other compounds, THC or otherwise. This is the right choice if you’re concerned your body may react negatively to something else in the cannabis.
- Broad-spectrum CBD is sort of the middle ground. It contains CBD and small amounts of many other cannabinoids, which means you’ll still benefit from the entourage effect. However, it is guaranteed free from THC, so you don’t run the risk of experiencing any psychoactive effects.
Drink coffee that tastes good.
When buying CBD products, don’t get so hung up on the type and quantity of CBD that you forget about the coffee. It’s important to still get a brew you enjoy drinking. Fortunately, the CBD infusion is flavorless and odorless, so you can shop for the same premium beans, flavor profiles, and roast levels you typically enjoy.
- If you prefer your coffee to be brightly acidic with complex flavors, look for a light roast. These often have fruity and floral flavors, with citrus and honey sweetness.
- If you enjoy a nuttier coffee with hints of milk chocolate and brown sugar, a medium roast is going to be right up your alley.
- If you like your coffee bittersweet with bold flavors of dark chocolate, toasted nuts, and molasses sweetness, choose a dark roast.
Many people find that compared with regular coffee, CBD coffee is gentler on the stomach. So if you enjoy the taste of acidic light roasts but usually avoid them for gastrointestinal reasons, this is a perfect opportunity to drink the coffee you’ve always wanted.
Brewing up your CBD infused coffee as a tasty cold brew coffee is another way to make it even less acidic.
Balance quality with convenience.
Choosing between whole bean coffee, pre ground coffee, and coffee pods comes down to your lifestyle and priorities. As lovers of great coffee above all else, we always recommend buying whole bean coffee and grinding it yourself, ideally using a quality burr grinder, right before brewing. This ensures you’re getting the freshest, most flavorful coffee.
However, we understand that busy mornings don’t always allow for such luxury.
If you don’t have the time or enthusiasm to grind your coffee fresh in the morning, buying pre ground is a perfectly fine option.
Just try to buy small quantities at a time from companies that grind fresh to order, and store your ground coffee in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
If your coffee machine brews with coffee pods, then you’ll need to find compatible pods of CBD coffee. Luckily, some companies now offer K Cup versions of their CBD brews. These pods are undeniably convenient, but they aren’t our favorite. Their coffee is often weak and stale tasting, and the negative environmental impact of these single-use plastics is hard to forget.
If you enjoy both the benefits of CBD and the taste of great coffee, you’re in luck. CBD coffee has finally hit the big time. It’s no longer an emerging trend; it’s a full-on industry.
That means more producers are emphasizing delivering a quality product, not just a novelty.
The best CBD-infused coffee in 2023 is Denver’s Strava Craft Coffee. Their premium Colombian coffee beans, rich with chocolate and cherry flavors, are dosed with 10 mg of CBD serving, the perfect kickstart to a mellow and productive day.
Yes, CBD coffee is at least as healthy as coffee, if not more so. Though CBD is still new and not widely scientifically researched, anecdotally, it has been found to offer various health benefits for users. These include reduced anxiety, management of chronic pain, and treatment of seizures. At the very least, it is proven to be safe by the Food and Drug Administration, so you can try it to find out if you are worried about the potential side effects of CBD coffee.
Yes, you can make CBD coffee just by adding CBD oil to your regular cup of coffee, and it won’t affect the flavor. However, unlike a CBD infusion of coffee beans, CBD oil doesn’t dissolve in the coffee and leaves oily bubbles on the surface.
If you want to try adding the best CBD oil to your cup of coffee, consider whipping it up in a blender with some high-quality butter, the same way you would for coconut oil or Bulletproof coffee.
Nootropic coffee is any coffee enhanced with nootropic compounds, which are substances thought to improve cognitive function (7). They claim to enhance memory, improve alertness, or bolster creativity. As with CBD coffee, few scientific studies prove the health benefits of nootropics, but plenty of satisfied consumers will testify to their results.
- CBD-Infused Coffee Will Bring A Unique Kick To Your Morning Routine. (2019, August 20). Retrieved from https://herb.co/learn/best-cbd-coffee/
- Hudak, J. (2019, February 4). Willie Nelson Readies Hemp-Infused Coffee. Retrieved from https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/willie-nelson-hemp-coffee-willies-remedy-789648/
- Kannall, E. (2018, November 27). What Are the Benefits of Organic Coffee Consumption? Retrieved from https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-using-coffee-filters-7625.html
- What Is Nanoemulsion And How Does It Affect CBD? (2020, March 14). Retrieved from https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-using-coffee-filters-7625.html
- Malamut, M. (2019, November 18). I Drank CBD Coffee for a Week. Here’s What It Did to My Anxiety. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/i-tried-it-cbd-coffee-anxiety
- Cadena, A. (2019, February 17). Full Spectrum vs Broad Spectrum vs CBD Isolate: The Difference Explained. Retrieved from https://medium.com/cbd-origin/full-spectrum-vs-broad-spectrum-vs-cbd-isolate-the-difference-explained-a09e415bf235
- Berry, J. (2019, September 18). What are nootropics (smart drugs)? Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326379