Coffee of the month clubs: the 11 best subscriptions of 2019
- 1. Atlas Coffee Club - our top pick
- 2. Angels Cup Coffee Club - For The Curious
- 3. Mistobox - A Customer Favourite
- 4. Bean Box - For Coffee Snobs
- 5. Trade Coffee Co - Most variety
- 6. Blue Bottle Coffee Subscription
- 7. Craft Coffee Subscription - great value
- 8. Crema.co Coffee Subscription
- 9. Driftaway Coffee Club - ethical and personal
- 10. Heart Coffee Roasters - most simple option
- 11. Joyride Coffee - office subscription
- How To Choose the right coffee of the month club
- THE VERDICT: what the best monthly coffee subscription?
An online coffee subscription will improve your life, but sign up to the wrong one and you'll waste money and time. You see: each business caters to a different type of coffee drinker. So before signing up to one you need to know what type of coffee drinker you and then choose the right box.
You're about to learn what type of coffee drinker you are, and then find out the best coffee subscriptions for your needs. Choose right and you'll smiling each morning as you raise yet another perfect cup of coffee to your lips.
1. Atlas Coffee Club - our top pick
Best Coffee Subscription - Explore gourmet, exotic single origin coffee beans from all over the world.
- Our Pick for best coffee subscription 2019
- Amazing single origin beans sourced from all over the world
- Feels like you're on a guided tour of the world of coffee beans
How it works: Choose a shipment size, frequency, roast type and grind size (or whole bean). They then send you the best single origin coffees from all all over the world, along with a postcard, tasting notes and brewing tips. You'll never get bored.
Atlas Coffee Club gives you a “world tour” through your coffee cup, connecting you to the farmers and varietals that you’re passionate to know more about.
“THE Perfect Gift For A Coffee Lover.” - USA Today
Customers love Atlas because it feels like an educational experience. Each coffee bag features custom designs reflecting the culture and environment of the origin (1). The postcard teaches about the region and its coffee, and you a handy little card revealing tasting notes, flavor notes and best ways to brew. Read our full Atlas coffee club review here.
2. Angels Cup Coffee Club - For The Curious
BEST FOR: Curious coffee drinkers who thrive on new tastes and experiences
- The most exciting way to discover new, quality coffee beans
- A HUGE library of beans. You'll never get bored
- Fresh roasted and shipped internationally
How it works: you simply choose one of 4 options and they will send you simple looking black bags of coffee, identified only by a number. No fancy branding or hype. After you’ve tried the brew, you can look up the origin and roast.
Angels’ Cup is big on the “discovery” aspect; sourcing high-quality coffee from a variety of underground roasters. Their philosophy is “Never the same thing twice - once something is gone, it's gone forever.“ You'll get the chance to try 208 different coffees in a single year if you play it right. They offer whole beans and ready-ground options. They also let you select your roast preference.
"We like to try a lot of coffees, thats why we subscribe to Angels' Cup" - Austin Amento, 2016 US Cup Tasters Champion
Most popular option: All Stars subscription box, which ships a full top-rated 12-ounce bags of coffee every week. The coffee is selected based on customer reviews of coffees from their other subscription plans. Customers love Angels cup because of the discovery aspect: It's the most exciting way to try new coffee beans. As a bonus - they ship internationally! Read our full Angels' Cup coffee review here.
3. Mistobox - A Customer Favourite
BEST FOR: Those who just want to find their perfect choice and have it sent to them on repeat
- Super easy to order with: fill out a quiz, get coffee sent, and start brewing
- Source from the top 50 roasters in US
- A very simple and seamless experience
How it works: Once you sign up, you fill out a simple quiz that helps you choose. you select the roast (but not the grind) and can opt for single-origin coffees, espressos or blends. Every 1-4 weeks (you choose) they ship 12 ounces of high-quality coffee directly to you.
Mistobox is one of the biggest names in the subscription game. They source from the top 50 US expert roasters such as Ruby and Verve. Unfortunately, they only ship within the US. Mistobox is popular because they score VERY high for user experience. They walk you through a short quiz to find the best option for your needs. They also plenty of information about their coffee how to best brew it. Read our full Mistobox review here.
4. Bean Box - For Coffee Snobs
BEST FOR: Coffee snobs who want the best beans available.
- Extremely picky sourcing (from the best roasters in the best coffee city in the world)
- Supports ethical coffee only (they carefully vet the sourcing of each roaster they work with)
- Feels like you have an expert coffee sourcing advisor hand picking great coffee for you.
How it works: Bean Box hand picks the best beans from the best roasters in Seattle, then ships them to you based on your preferences. Seattle is known as one of the leading third wave coffee cities of the world, so the quality is amazing (2).
Bean Box works with 30 different roasters who source from some of the world’s leading green coffee buyers, and they’ve built an impressive library of coffees. You'll never get bored. There are several ways to start but the most popular are the Bean Box Coffee Sampler (4 x 1.8-ounce bags from Seattle heavy hitters) and the Coffee of the Month option.
"Think of it as an ongoing coffee tour of the city [of Seattle] without having to buy plane tickets. It’s a great idea." - The Coffee Detective
Coffee lovers love bean box because they are experts in sourcing quality coffee and they hand pick roasters from the epi-center of 3rd wave coffee. They currently offer a free trial box to help you get started. Why not? Read our full Bean Box Coffee review here.
5. Trade Coffee Co - Most variety
Best for those getting started with quality coffee brewing but who have no idea where to start
- Over 400 quality beans in their coffee library
- Are committed to matching you with your perfect option
- Easy to order and shipped very quickly
How it works: You opt for a blend or single-origin as they take you through a quiz that finds your first perfect match. Then, based on your feedback, they'll start recommending beans.
Read our full Trade Coffee co review here.
Trade Coffee keeps things simple, while slowly learning about your coffee preferences. Take the short survey, then they deliver fresh coffee beans each month, and you give them feedback. Trade will learn about your style and build a profile for you; sending you high quality beans from 400+ coffee types with even more flavor notes.
What people love about Trade Coffee: they put themselves in YOUR shoes when creating their quiz. Rather than getting a bunch of hard to answer questions, they keep it simple and build from there.
BEST FOR: Those who want gold class (aka coffee snobs)
- You get sent the best quality possible from beans that you know and like
- More like a regular home delivery of quality beans
- Gold class in sourcing and roasting
How it works: Unlike with many subscriptions on this list, you’ll have to choose the coffee for yourself (though they do have a quiz to find your coffee match). They offer subscriptions to any of their 8 blends as well as espresso, blend and single origin assortments.
Blue Bottle Coffee's subscriptions are for coffee enthusiasts who know what they like and want expertly roasted beans from some of the best lots in the world. But It's more like regular home delivery for the same products you could buy in-store than a curated coffee box.
They offer decaf subscriptions and ship internationally to a short list of countries, for now. We dove deep into the blue bottle coffee club recently. Read our review here.
7. Craft Coffee Subscription - great value
BEST FOR: Those shopping based on value
- The best valued coffee subscription available right now
- Fresh: shipped within 24 - 72 hours of roasting.
- Offer a price match guarantee
How it works: Take their survey to get a recommendation for the right coffees to start your subscription, or try their famous 3-variety sampler pack; a gateway to the world of specialty coffee.
Craft Coffee is all about bringing you high-quality, freshly roasted coffees that are new to you, without costing you more than you’d pay at the grocery store. They roast it all in-house and ship your coffee box within 72 hours of roasting. Read our full Craft Coffee review here.
BEST FOR: Those who know what they want.
- Source from both popular and underground small batch roasters
- Extremely fresh, delivered fast
- You take a more active role in choosing
How it works: After signing up you create your personal “Brew list” - a coffee playlist for coffee you would like to try. You can search for coffees to add to your list based on various criteria like region and roaster, or have their website suggest options for you.
Crema lets you take an active role in selecting what goes into you subscription. Start with their sampler pack; try and rate 3 coffees and use this data to build a subscription that fits you (Its stored in a Brew Log for you). You can pause or cancel deliveries from your coffee list any time.
Customers love how Crema 'drop-ships' their beans; meaning the coffees are shipped directly from the roaster to ensure maximum freshness. Read our full Crema.co review here.
9. Driftaway Coffee Club - ethical and personal
Best For: Those who prioritize freshness and personalization
- Personalised - Provide preferences and feedback, and they do the rest
- Shipped within 6 hours of roasting
- Fair trade, direct trade and Rainforest Alliance-certified sourcing, with heavy farmer support and feedback
How it works: Start with a tasting kit and based on your feedback they curate your shipments to fit your flavor profiles. They have even developed an app which lets you rate and review the coffees they send you, giving the company more data to help select the right beans for your subscription.
“Best for the coffee reliant, the foodie folks, or to give as a gift. Basically, it’s simple. You like coffee? Driftaway brings you really good coffee.”– AskMen.com
Driftaway promises single-origin coffees sourced directly from farmers, and roasted for you in-house less than 6 hours before delivery. And what more, they now offer an office subscription option (bringing the price down to $10/pound) with free delivery in the U.S + brewing and equipment support. Read our full review of Driftaway Coffee here.
10. Heart Coffee Roasters - most simple option
BEST FOR: Those who want a hands off method of having quality coffee sent to them
- THEY source and roast the coffee, you brew and drink it
- Simple and hands off solution. No need to customize or learn
- Heart are experts in coffee sourcing, so you're in great hands
How it works: Tell them how often you want coffee and for how long, and they’ll ship you a 1-pound bag every 1-4 weeks. They choose the roast for each coffee lot’s unique characteristics, so you don’t have to worry picking light vs. dark roasts for your whole subscription.
Heart Coffee Roasters is an artisan coffee roaster in Portland that offers subscriptions for simple, high-quality coffee delivered to your door. They work directly with coffee growers in Latin America and Africa, supporting the farmers to produce incredible coffees.
This video helps you get a sense of Heart Coffee Roasters and why they do what they do:
11. Joyride Coffee - office subscription
BEST FOR: Offices
- Set up your office with quality gear and beans
- Will even train your staff to use the equipment
- Only available in Los Angeles, New York and the Bay Area
How it works: You contact them on behalf of your office, and they kill bad office coffee in your workplace. You can have a subscription for cold brew on tap and specialty coffees from the country’s best small roasters: Blue Bottle, Counter Culture, Intelligentsia, Stumptown. It's like you now have your own coffee shop in the office.
Joyride Coffee is on a mission to help teams of coffee appreciators get high-caliber brew into their offices. They deliver premium coffees and the gear to help you and your co-workers enjoy craft coffee at your desks. Better yet, they’ll teach everyone how to brew a mean single cup or pot of coffee on the fancy Joyride rigs.
How To Choose the right coffee of the month club
Short on time? If this is the first time you’re ordering coffee online take this 30 second coffee drinker quiz and find the best option for you right now. Otherwise, here's a few pointers that will help you navigate the landscape of coffee subscription services:
Does the offer fit your desires?
As a coffee drinker the first thing you should consider is, naturally, the coffee itself. What coffees does the club offer? Where do the beans come? How do they source their beans?
In terms of your desires, there are two different approaches you can take:
- If you like trying lots of different coffees, look for a coffee of the month club that ships you new coffees (new to you) each time.
- If you already know what you like, look for a coffee of the month box that offers subscriptions for type of coffee you know and like it.
Before choosing make sure you're clear on what you want. Is your priority freshly roasted coffee? coffee delivered quickly? or a service that will help you find your favourite coffee? Each coffee club has a strength, and its your job to match your order with that strength.
How much can you customize? (And do you even want to?)
Some coffee subscriptions allow you to customize your experience while others offer fixed options. These are curated by professionals but often fairly inflexible.
Want to be active in choosing? Look for a coffee of the month club that tells you what types of whole bean coffee will be sent to you in advance, and will allow you to pick and switch varieties or roasts. Some services will tell you what’s coming in the mail, but won’t allow you to make changes.
Want the company to decide for you? Choose a service that curates coffees and roast types based on your preferences/feedback to a sample box. This is the best way to try beans that the coffee professionals at each coffee box company believe are truly great. You should also consider if you want them to grind for you or not.
How will it be delivered?
Obviously speed is of the essence, because freshly ground coffee is better.
Consider the frequency of coffee delivery: the better companies offer a few different schedules (e.g weekly, bi-weekly, monthly).
How much coffee do you need per week? Look for a company that will get you as much as you need, but not more. There’s no point in getting a delivery each week if you take two weeks to get through a bag of coffee. Conversely; few things are as annoying as running out of coffee.
Do they sell Fair Trade Coffee?
Most coffee of the month clubs on this list emphasize paying farmers fair prices for coffee and supporting sustainability all along the supply chain. Paying farmers fairly means supporting them to grow better coffee and improve practices, but exclusively fair trade subscription services isn’t the only model (3).
Some companies on this list view fair trade prices as too low to support farmers.
This is of course up for debate, but many companies that are not technically fair trade subscriptions instead verify the farms’ practices firsthand and pay them directly. This also allows companies to ensure the coffee is of the highest quality.
THE VERDICT: what the best monthly coffee subscription?
Good coffee starts with good beans. Sure, starting with a list of great coffee beans can work, but the above subscriptions make choosing great coffee even easier.
This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to coffee subscriptions. The market is saturated and unfortunately, they are not all great offerings. This list has been curated by coffee lovers, for coffee lovers, and we update it a few times a year. In summary:
Atlas coffee club is the best overall subscription as of August 2019. They hand pick coffees from small lots all over the world, roast them and ship them to you. You drink amazing coffee, and learn about the culture in the process. The other options on this list are all great choices, so choose whichever feels right as you read our reviews. Happy coffee drinking!
- Rosenacker, J. (2017, July 11). Our Coffee Bag Designs - Atlas Coffee Club. Retrieved from https://club.atlascoffeeclub.com/coffee-bag-designs-atlas-coffee-club/
- Grambush, J. (2017, October 23). A Brief History of Coffee in Seattle. Retrieved from https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/washington/articles/a-brief-history-of-coffee-in-seattle/
- Baggini, J. (2015, February 23). Why are foodies turning their backs on Fairtrade? Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/feb/23/foodies-fairtrade-sales-quality-ingredients-terms