Nostalgia Coffee Maker: More Than Just A Stylish Pick?
There’s nothing like the comfort of a hot cup of coffee to kickstart your morning, and the Nostalgia Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker delivers exactly that. Schedule a freshly brewed pot to be made anytime for up to 12 cups of coffee. So when you roll out of bed and need hot coffee asap, your brew is waiting for you. Not to mention, it makes a stylish addition to your kitchen.
Does that sound tempting? Read our Nostalgia Coffee Maker review to learn more.
Summary: The Nostalgia Electrics Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- Makes up to 12 cups at a time.
- Programmable brew timer and Pause and Serve feature.
- Colorful retro design sets it apart from the crowd.
I love the open design on this coffee pot, the retro design is awesome, and the maker comes with a reusable filter, which is earth-friendly. Love that too!– Trina, Nostalgia Coffee Maker Owner
The Full Nostalgia RCOF12AQ Coffee Maker Review
Nostalgia Products has a motto that aptly suits their vintage-look coffee maker: “Preserving The Past, Embracing The Present And Beyond” (1). A freshly brewed pot of hot coffee made by this old-style coffee maker does exactly that. A soothing cup of Nostalgia coffee will ground you in the present, the caffeine jolt will get you moving forward, and that unmistakable coffee aroma will transport you.
Of course, any coffee maker can brew a pot of coffee. So what sets the Nostalgia coffee machine apart, and is it the one for you? Let’s find out.
Design – 4/5
The Nostalgia RCOF12AQ Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is a shiny retro-style coffee maker with a backlit LED display. It’s available in fun colours like Aqua, Black, Cream, Pink, Red, and Yellow. This beauty brings a wonderful splash of colour to your kitchen; its cool style is definitely its primary selling point.
The small retro coffee maker measures 19.7 x 26 x 36.2 cm and weighs 3.6 kg. You’ll have plenty of counter space leftover after you tuck this device into your own convenient coffee corner with its tall and narrow lightweight build. There’s also a tiny compartment to put away its cord so it takes up less space.
Included with the purchase of a Nostalgia Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker are a little black coffee scoop, a reusable filter, and removable filter basket. It comes with a glass carafe with an anti-drip design that makes it easy to pour without making a mess.
The Nostalgia Programmable Coffee Maker has a plastic casing, so it lacks a little durability. Its construction seems flimsy and breakable, so don’t count on it to last a lifetime.
Features – 5/5
The Nostalgia Retro Coffee Maker brews 12 cups of coffee in no time, thanks to the power of its capable 1000-watt heating element. Worried about keeping your coffee warm? A pot of coffee brewed with this coffee maker will stay warm for up to two hours post-brewing with the built-in warming plate and automatic Keep Warm function.
After two hours, the coffee maker automatically shuts off as part of its brewing boil dry protection feature for added safety.
This coffee maker also offers a Pause and Serve function. Pause and Serve lets the impatient coffee lovers amongst us (no shame) grab a quick coffee during the brewing cycle without disturbing the brewing process or making a mess.
Does it get any better? Yes! The Nostalgia Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker has a programmable 24-hour clock, so it is programmable up to a full day in advance. Set the delay timer for when you’d like your coffee to be ready the day before. It will brew fresh coffee as you sleep, and the hot plate will keep your coffee warm until you’re ready to indulge.
Ease Of Use – 4/5
The Nostalgia Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is simple to use, whether preparing a pot right away or programming a future brew. Add ground coffee and the amount of water you need using the coffee water level markings on the side of the tank. Press the On/Off button on the push-button control panel to turn it on. Then select the Program button followed by the Hour/Minute button to set the time, and push On/Off again to start it. These three controls on the push button control panel are easy to see with the illuminated backlit LED display.
The Nostalgia 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is easy to clean. Like any other coffee machine, we recommend using a soft cloth soaked in warm, soapy water to wipe the base and any exterior components. The glass carafe has an anti-drip design, which simplifies cleaning by eliminating messy spills.
The reusable filter is an extra cleaning step compared to a disposable paper filter, but it’s more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.
Don’t let this extra cleaning step dissuade you from caring for your coffee maker. Cleaning is important for your health and safety (2).
A lot of people forget that coffee is a food product and, if the equipment is not properly looked after, it will eventually stop working properly and can make you seriously ill.
None of the Nostalgia Coffee Maker’s pieces are dishwasher safe, so stick to hand washing only.
There is no special automated cleaning cycle for this coffee brewer. If it is for everyday use, we recommend descaling it every three to six months with a store-bought or homemade vinegar solution in the interior reservoir tank (3).
Value For Money – 3/5
The price of the Nostalgia Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker ranges from $190 to $220 depending on where you buy it, the colour you choose, and any available discounts. Similar coffee makers for home use cost as low as $50 and as high as $500. So while it’s not the cheapest option, the Nostalgia brewer is certainly not the most expensive offering. You’ll be spending more if you opt to trade in the removable filter basket for disposable paper filters.
As for how much value you get for your money with this coffee pot maker, it depends on how much you love its design. You’re paying not just for a basic 12-cup coffee maker but for a stylish addition to your kitchen. If you just need fresh coffee without the bells and whistles, you can find a more affordable option.
Things we liked:
- Capable of brewing up to 12 cups of coffee
- Attractive and colourful retro design
- Programmable a full day in advance
- Pause and Serve lets you grab a cup during brewing
Things we didn’t like:
- Plastic casing isn’t the most durable
- No special cleaning cycle
- More expensive than the competition
Do Not Buy The Nostalgia Coffee Maker If…
- You want more coffee for less money – If you’re looking for an equally attractive programmable coffee maker with an even larger capacity, go for the Drew Barrymore Coffee Maker. It’s much cheaper than a Nostalgia Coffee Maker and can brew 14 cups of coffee in under 14 minutes.
- You’re searching for a different retro look – If the Nostalgia 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker retro design isn’t for you but you’re still hoping to incorporate that aesthetic, the popular retro-style coffee maker by Smeg might be just the thing for you. Besides its eye-catching look, it allows you to adjust the strength of your coffee and alerts you to any maintenance needs – both features that the Nostalgia Coffee Maker doesn’t have. However, it is significantly more expensive.
- You prioritize coffee quality – The Moccamaster may not have a retro style, but it is a world-class drip coffee maker certified by the Specialty Coffee Association. If you’re paying big bucks for specialty coffee beans, this brewer will treat them right. It has a cult following among coffee lovers. Though pricy, every Moccamaster is handcrafted in the Netherlands from high-quality stainless steel and BPA-free plastic and comes with a 5-year warranty.
The Nostalgia Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker is a stylish drip brewer that will add flair to any kitchen. Features like a large capacity, programmable brew time, and Pause and Serve function make it a joy to use. We’d like to see it with a stainless steel casing for improved longevity, but it still offers good value to anyone seeking a basic coffee maker with a retro aesthetic.
- Nostalgia. (n.d.). About. Retrieved January 12, 2023, from https://nostalgiaproducts.com/pages/about
- SanMax, I. (2021, July 27). Cleaning your coffee brewer at home. Retrieved January 13, 2023, from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2021/07/cleaning-your-coffee-brewer-at-home/
- Chen, J. (2021, May 6). How to Clean Your Coffee Maker. Retrieved January 13, 2023, from https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/guides/how-to-clean-coffee-maker/