How To Make Cinnamon Coffee (recipe and tips)
Cinnamon. It’s a spice that you think of as soon as the leaves start to turn brown.
Cinnamon brings with it the smell and flavor of fall, and is a delicious addition to hot beverages. For taste alone, adding cinnamon to your brew is a great idea. But you’ve probably heard that cinnamon coffee is also healthy. Something that tastes amazing and is good for you? What nirvana is this? Lets’ make some right now!
Why Add Cinnamon To Your Coffee?
There are lots of reasons (1) to add this spice to your brew – here are just a couple:
- A hint of sweet: Cinnamon has a naturally sweet flavor, so stirring it into your brew will mellow your coffee without needing to add honey, sugar, or artificial sweeteners. This makes it an ideal addition for anyone watching their sugar intake.
- Clearing your sinuses: If you have a cold or are struggling with the effect of allergies, then popping cinnamon into your coffee will help act as a decongestant. The warm drink will soothe your throat, while the cinnamon tackles that bunged up feeling. Perfect.
- An energy boost: Coffee gives you a boost anyway, but because cinnamon helps your body handle sugar (more on that later) you will get the benefits of your cup o’ joe for longer.
- Lowers appetite: Cinnamon satisfies that sweet craving and suppresses appetite. You feel satisfied for longer so it’s a great tip for those trying to lose weight or just stretch the gap between snacks.
- It’s nutritious: Not only that, but cinnamon is a great source of nutrients. Fibre, calcium, manganese, iron and Vitamin K are all found in the flavorful bark.
Here Comes The Science Bit
- Cinnamon has antioxidant properties. It helps the body deal with the negative impact of eating fatty foods, as they discovered at Penn State (2). That includes protection from heart problems (but not from it being broken, sorry).
- Meanwhile over at Wheeling Jesuit University they found that cinnamon helps give the brain a boost (3) and helps concentration. So adding it to your coffee is like supercharging your mind. Woah.
- Research undertaken by the University of Georgia showed that cinnamon could help regulate your blood sugar (4). Great news for diabetics or anyone who has issues with hypoglycemia.
You could make cinnamon coffee by just stirring ½ tsp of powder into your brew. Or just stirring your coffee with a cinnamon stick. But if you’re here, you’re looking for the absolute best way to make cinnamon coffee. Here it is.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Coffee beans
- Cinnamon sticks
AT A GLANCE
How to make cinnamon coffee
Cinnamon brings with it the smell and flavor of fall and is a delicious addition to hot beverages. For taste alone, adding cinnamon to your brew is a great idea. But this coffee recipe is also healthy.
- Prepare – Grab your beans and measure out as much as you want to grind. Find your cinnamon sticks and snap or cut them with kitchen scissors into pieces about the same size as a coffee bean. Any bigger and they won’t grind up properly.
- Grind – Switch your grinder on and inhale. Enjoy the heady mix of freshly ground coffee and full potency cinnamon. What a rush!
- Brew black coffee
- If you grind extra coffee, store it in a vacuum storage container and use as needed.
- As an alternate, you can make your own creamer with cinnamon and add this to your coffee. Or, if you sweeten your coffee, you can add cinnamon sugar (5) (keep a jar made up for French toast and other culinary delights).
- If instead you prefer maple syrup*, simply store the bottle with a cinnamon stick in it for an infused flavor.
Interested in making other coffee drinks? Here’s a few recipes you can try.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Were you fascinated by the properties of cinnamon and how simple it is to use it to enhance your coffee and your health?
It’s great to know that you can do something so helpful, so easily. If you enjoyed this article, please share it with any friends you think might like it too. If you tried making your own cinnamon coffee, drop us a comment below and let us know how you got on.
If you’re down for some adventure, we listed some cool ways to make your own flavored coffee.
- 10 Reasons You Need to Add Cinnamon to Your Coffee « Food Hacks :: WonderHowTo Retrieved from https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-reasons-you-need-add-cinnamon-your-coffee-0167930/
- Antioxidant spices, like turmeric and cinnamon, reduce negative effects of high-fat meal — ScienceDaily Retrieved from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110810101607.htm
- Why Cinnamon Is Good for Your Aging Brain | Psychology Today Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-brain-food/201306/why-cinnamon-is-good-your-aging-brain
- Study: Spices may protect against high blood sugar – UGA Today Retrieved from https://news.uga.edu/study-spices-may-protect-against-high-blood-sugar/
- Cinnamon Sugar Recipe – Chowhound Retrieved From https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/cinnamon-sugar-10571