Jura Giga 5 Review: A High-end and Programmable Automatic Coffee Machine
The name Jura is a warranty in itself when it comes to superautomatic coffee machines. This renowned Swiss company currently offers more than twenty different coffee makers, ranging from the most basic espresso machines to the machine equivalent of having a personal live-in barista. The Giga 5 is among the smartest and most luxurious of the models offered by Jura, check it out to see if this upgrade is in your future.
Summary: Jura Giga 5 Superautomatic Coffee and Espresso Machine
- Sports premium design and professional technology
- Offers 19 programmable drink options and 12 specialty coffee recipes
- Detailed customization options for all brew variables
“Jura’s extraordinary GIGA 5 coffee machine combines barista technology with high quality performance boasting a dual system, with two grinders and heating systems, which is able to serve two specialities at once.”– Harrods
The Jura Giga 5 Review
The Jura Giga 5 is an ultra-luxurious super-automatic coffee machine that is sure to dazzle any coffee lover. With seemingly endless customization options and two built-in grinders, the Giga 5 takes you from bean to the brew of your dreams in no time! While the machine’s complexity and versatility are its main selling point, they also make maintenance more laborious and time consuming. Read on to get a better idea of whether or not the Giga 5 is for you.
Design – 5/5
Let’s be honest, the Jura Giga 5 is more than a high-end superautomatic coffee machine: it’s a luxury statement! Weighing 40 pounds and measuring 20x17x13 inches, this beautiful, solid-looking machine is bound to be the first thing people notice when entering the room. If you love the versatility of the Giga 5 but aren’t quite sold on the bulky build. The Giga 5 has a fancy aluminum front and black plastic sides, while also offering an all-black option, if that is more your style.
The top features the power and program buttons and a rotary dial, but the main control panel is located on the front and consists of a beautiful TFT color display that really steals the show. Though not operated via touch screen, the controls are easy to operate thanks to the 8 buttons located on its side and the dial on top.
Naturally, learning how best to use all the settings may take some time, but the machine is, overall, quite user-friendly.
Below the display you have two height-adjustable spouts, one for hot water and a butterfly-style dual spout for coffee and milk. The folks at Jura have thought of everything, equipping the second spout with a magnetically-held splash guard and a handy light.
The removable water tank is easy to access thanks to the handle on top but, given its large 87 ounce capacity, you certainly won’t need to worry about refilling it any other day. For a different water reservoir aesthetic, check out the Jura Z6, which features a side-mounted tank lit by an aquarium-style light.
Brewing System – 5/5
While its premium aesthetic is already an indicator that this is the Rolls-Royce of superautomatic coffee machines, its brewing system is the roaring engine that makes it stand out.
Furthermore, the Jura Giga 5 is equipped with two sealed hoppers (9.8 oz each) and two burr grinders! Featuring wear-free ceramic disks, they’re incredibly precise and quiet compared to most models.
Not only can you change the grind size, but also the consistency of the grind to get, for example, 60% from one hopper and 40% from the other.
This means infinite combination possibilities, allowing you to experiment with different percentages of two types of beans and create your own blends. The bypass doser allows for even more options and a quicker way to get decaffeinated beverages.
There are also two thermoblock heating systems made of high-quality stainless-steel lined aluminum and two corresponding pumps. To avoid any issues with the resulting steam, Jura has installed adjustable Venti Ports that supply fresh air, complementing the efficient electronic ventilation system.
The double sets of grinders and thermoblocks are certainly impressive and excellent for a machine that is going to be put to work brewing lots of coffee. This kind of design is optimal for an office, hospitality, or restaurant setting that serves lots of coffee each day. However, if you aren’t planning to use your Jura as intensely as that, the Jura A9 may be a better choice.
Like some of the best Jura coffee and espresso machines, the Giga 5 features Intelligent Pre-Brew Aroma System (IPBAS) and Jura’s patented Pulse Extraction Process (PEP), that ensure aroma preservation and optimum extraction time. (1)
Before we overwhelm you with the number of coffee drinks that you can create, let’s remember that all these milky beverages start with an espresso shot, and that a proper espresso can’t be brewed without the correct amount of pressure. While the required minimum is 9, the Giga 5 brews at 15 bars of pressure. (2)
Given that good tasting coffee relies heavily on quality inputs, we urge you not to overlook the quality of your water. (3) Thankfully, this is easy to take care of with the Giga 5, since its water tank is compatible with Claris water filters, and one is even included to start you out.
Coffee Quality and Versatility – 5/5
If you want any more customizability, then you’ll need to hire a barista to keep in your kitchen 24/7. The Jura Giga 5 has pretty much no limits when it comes to customization and drink options.
You can brew two drinks simultaneously and customize each one individually with 5 levels of coffee strength and 3 hot water levels, as well as tweaking the shot volumeand the amount of milk and foam. Once you find your favorite combination of settings, you can program them into your machine and get the same results at just the push of a button.
You can obviously affect the extraction process even more by tweaking the grind size of the two grinders and experimenting with different percentages and combinations. As for coffee quality, the Jura Giga 5 will beat all expectations thanks to the innovative IPBAS, PEP and milk-frothing technology.
Jura’s patented multi-chamber milk frothing system reaches professional standards and allows you to do all the customizing without having to tire your wrist learning how to froth just as smoothly. Given that the milk is frothed and dispensed automatically, you won’t get the latte art you may see at the coffee house, but you’ll be able to enjoy finely textured and long-lasting milk foam.
If you are worried about any lack of creativity when it comes to drink recipes, rest easy. The Giga 5 includes 12 specialty coffee recipes and will guide you through each one step-by-step, waiting for you to complete each task before moving on to the next one. If you are not planning to take advantage of all of the options the Giga 5 has to offer, we recommend looking into simpler alternatives like the Jura A1 and Ena Micro 1.
Since sustainabilityis one of Jura’s core values, the Giga 5 has an Energy Save mode and automatic shut off programmable feature. (4)
Cleaning and Maintenance – 2.5/5
If you are committed to the Rolls Royce of espresso machines, you must accept the fact that more drink options and features mean more maintenance. Given the price tag, it’s only sensible to want this machine to last as long as possible, and that requires daily upkeepas well as occasional deeper cleaning.
You’ll have to dismantle and rinse the dual spout and clean the milk system after each use, be sure to do this by hand sincethe milk pipe is notdishwasher safe. Don’t forget to rinse the drip tray, empty the dregs basket, rinse the water tank and wipe the machine surface from time to time.
Though there is definitely diligence required on your part, Jura still does their best to keep cleaning from being a burden. Each time you turn off your machine, it automatically rinses the brew system. When it comes to long-term maintenance, the machine will prompt you to change the water filter, descale, rinse and clean the milk system, and rinse the coffee system. The display is there to guide you through the process and you can even use the Maintenance Status menu page to track your machine’s status.
We’re not going to lie, upkeep for the Giga 5 is time consuming, but preserving the excellence of the brewing system and its many features is certainly worth it.
Value for Money – 3.5/5
There’s no way of sugar-coating it: the Jura Giga 5 is one of the most expensive coffee makers in Jura’s current range. It’s roughly the same price as the Giga W3, and second only to the Giga 6. Considering the price, we were surprised to find out that the milk container is not included.
However, if you have high standards and an ample budget, you really can’t go wrong with the Swiss-made innovation and precision of the Giga 5. (5)
“Like the makers of finest Swiss watches, Jura prides itself in precision work, careful design, and craftsmanship.”
We like to be honest and objective, so we only recommend the Jura Giga 5 to the coffee lovers who want to make a bold luxury statement and can comfortably afford to do so.
Things we liked:
- Can customize every aspect of your drink
- TFT display makes it easy to use
- Pulsed extraction and automatic pre-infusion
- Two burr grinders and heating systems
Things we didn’t like:
- Large and expensive
- Time consuming upkeep
Do Not Buy The Jura Giga 5 If…
- You don’t want to say goodbye to so many paychecks – We’ve already said it once, but let’s say it again: the Giga 5 is expensive. If you were excited about the idea of owning a versatile high-quality super-automatic coffee machine but you almost had a heart attack when you checked the price, don’t panic. Offering fewer functions but a more reasonable price-tag, the Jura E8 and the Jura D6 are good alternatives. Like the Giga 5, both models feature the Pulse Extraction Process, although the former boasts the Intelligent Pre-Brew Aroma System. Both machines are guaranteed to meet the high Jura standards of coffee. Read our full Jura Impressa E8 review or our Jura D6 review to learn more.
- You already own a milk frother – What’s the point in paying more money for some badass milky features if you already own a frother? If that’s the case, we recommend a more basic model like the Jura A1. This superautomatic espresso machine focuses on ristrettos and espressos as well as larger cups of coffee. Find out all its features in our review.
- The price tag doesn’t scare you: you want even more! – If you want to make an even bolder statement and reach the absolute peak of super-automatic espresso machines, then your only options are hiring live-in barista we mentioned earlier or buying the Jura Giga 6. This model includes new drinks and fancy features, a touch-screen display, a Bluetooth connection to the Jura appand the use of artificial intelligence to improve your experience.
The Verdict On The Jura Giga 5 – 4.2/5
The Jura Giga 5 is an outstanding superautomatic coffee machine that can bring delivers professional-level coffee drinks in your kitchen or office. Given the hefty price tag, thisluxury, high-tech machine is certainly not for everyone, and even if you could afford it, make sure you are actually going to use all its features. There is no sense in getting the coffee machine that does it all if you are only interested in one or two types of coffee.
Read our thoughts on all the different options from Jura in our reviewed the best Jura espresso machines here. However, if your reaction to this post has been, “YES, I can afford it,” and “DUH, of course I’m going to experiment with different types of coffee every day,” then…
GO FOR IT!
We’ll just be sitting here, feeling slightly jealous.
- (n.d.). (2018, March 13). European Coffee Expo ‘Exhibitor Spotlight’: JURA UK. Retrieved from https://beveragebusinessworld.com/latest-news/european-coffee-expo-exhibitor-spotlight-jura-uk-13-03-2018/
- Kilbride, D. (2017, June 8). How Does Pressure Affect Espresso Quality? Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2017/06/how-does-pressure-affect-espresso-quality/
- Callow, C. (2017, May 22). Something in the water Retrieved from https://www.caffeinemag.com/articles/water-for-coffee
- (n.d.). This is Jura Retrieved from https://uk.jura.com/en/about-jura
- Mowery, L. (2019, June 23). Jura Giga 6: The Best Coffee Machine Money Can Buy Retrieved From https://www.forbes.com/sites/lmowery/2019/06/23/jura-giga-6-the-best-coffee-machine-money-can-buy/#71369f62167d