Jura Z6 Review: Smart Automatic Coffee Machine
Bean-to-cup machines are a coffee lover’s dream come true! By brewing freshly ground coffee, you’ll be able to obtain the best flavor and preserve the coffee beans’ aroma. If you are in search of a high-end, programmable coffee maker sure to make your friends jealous, the Jura Z6 may be just right. Read our full review below to learn more.
SUMMARY: The Jura Z6 Superautomatic Coffee Machine
- Offers 13 customizable and programmable products
- Includes premium features such as the Pulse Extraction Process and Aroma G3 grinder
- Award-winning design and premium aluminum casing
Not only this coffee machine from the Swiss Brand Jura is exceptionally beautiful, it is packed with amazing features that brings the art of delicious coffee straight into your home.– Cold Press Juicers
The Jura Z6 Review
The Jura Z6 has every feature a coffee lover can imagine before venturing into the realm of bluetooth connectivity and artificially intelligent brewers. With an array of brewing options and vast customizable settings, the Z6 allows you to get creative and go from bean to cup using just one machine. Though it is far from the cheapest super-automatic on the market, this coffee machine is top-quality and bound to last you many years. If you’d like to compare it to other Jura models before making your choice, check out our handy review roundup article.
Design – 5/5
You can tell just by looking at the Z6 that you’re about to get a premium coffee experience: this state-of-the-art coffee machine is a classy showcase of Swiss innovation and has won multiple design awards. (1) With its 17.7 x 12.6 x 14.8 inch dimensions, the Jura Z6 can fit on your countertop and is lighter than the average Jura machine. What we like the most about its sleek design is the elegant aluminum casing, but you can choose the all-black model if you prefer. Either way, this machine looks incredible in any kitchen!
The Jura Z6 features a user-friendly control panel located on its front and consisting mainly of a beautiful TFT color display.
It’s not touchscreen, but it can easily be operated through the buttons on the side and the handy rotating dial on top. The front of the machine also features a double spout with a fancy light underneath. The height-adjustable spouts and wide drip tray provide you with the space and versatility to brew into all different sizes and shapes of glasses.
Rather than hiding the water tank at the back (which makes it a pain to get to), the Jura Z6 showcases it on the side of the brewer and illuminates it with a blue light to give it a bit of an aquarium vibe. The 81 ounce capacity of the tank is quite impressive, it is safe to say that you won’t have to refill it after every other coffee. Thanks to the practical handle on top, it’s very easy to remove, refill and clean.
Brewing System – 5/5
It’s not just the elegant design that makes the Jura Z6 a high-end product: it is also the innovative brewing system that turns its fast bean-to-cup process into a premium coffee experience.
This automatic coffee machine features a 9.5 oz hopper with an aroma preservation cover that, thanks to the rubber gasket, will keep your coffee beans nice and fresh should you not grind them all at once. But let’s get into the most important element in coffee brewing and, specifically, in superautomatic coffee makers. (2)
“The quality and consistency of the ground beans is the foundation of any great cup of coffee. For that, you need a good grinder.”
Luckily, the Z6 features a conical burr grinder that doesn’t disappoint. This Aroma G3 grinder is designed to achieve a consistent grind and retain all nuances of the beans’ aroma. The G3 comes with enough versatility so that you can play around with different grind sizes to influence extraction and obtain the brew that best suits your palate. Though freshly ground coffee will always produce the best results, the Z6 also includes a bypass doser for the odd pre-ground or decaf batch.
The Z6 is one of the most hipster machines of the current Jura range. While more and more Juras feature the Pulse Extraction Process (PEP), the Jura Z6 had it before it was cool. This patented system mimics manual pre-infusion techniques to optimize extraction time and preserve all aroma nuances, thanks also to the Intelligent Pre-Brew Aroma System.
You won’t have to wait long for your delicious cup of coffee either: the stainless steel lined aluminum boiler features a thermoblock heating system that is incredibly fast.
As for pressure, this automatic coffee machine operates at 15 bars: 6 more than the required minimum to brew espresso! (3) You’ll also be able to say goodbye to poorly steamed milk or bubbly foam, as the Jura Z6 features an innovative nozzle and fine foam technology to give you coffee shop style hot drinks.
The removable water tank of the Jura Z6 is designed to fit Claris filters (one is usually included with your purchase) and, thanks to the Intelligent Water System, the machine can detect the filter and adapt accordingly. We strongly recommend using them to ensure the longevity of your machine and get the best tasting coffee possible, especially if your water is on the hard side. (4)
Coffee Quality and Versatility – 4.5/5
After trying the coffee made with the Jura Z6, you won’t even dream of touching K-Cups ever again (we already discourage using K-Cup and pod machines, read our article to learn why).
Second only to the most expensive models in the Jura range — the Giga 5 and the W3 — the Z6 doesn’t disappoint when it comes to customizability and drink options either: you’ll be able to enjoy a latte macchiato, flat white, cappuccino, macchiato, coffee, espresso and ristretto, as well as get a portion of hot milk, milk foam and hot water.
This wide drink choice is perfect if you have a large household, if you are going to use this machine in an office or whenever you have a few friends around. You can also brew two coffees at the same time, so you won’t keep anyone waiting! That being said, if you are looking for customizability but not quite to the extent offered by the Z6, the Jura E8 may do just the trick.
The best thing about this drink selection is that you can customize and program each and every single one of them.
You can choose among 10 different coffee strength levels, the amount of hot water, 10 milk temperature settings, 3 brewing temperatures and 2 hot water temperature settings. You can also program the machine to switch off automatically, saving you energy.
This machine is a step up for latte lovers, particularly compared with the Jura A9 which requires a separate milk container to froth milk. All of the milk frothing operations on the Z6 are automatic and require no extra parts or attachments.
Cleaning and Maintenance – 3/5
This machine can do pretty much everything for you… except for the cleaning. If you want your Jura Z6 to last as long as possible, you need to make sure that you look after it properly and perform regular maintenance.
Luckily, the machine will remind you when it’s time to clean the coffee system, the milk system and descale the machine to get rid of limescale build up. The full cleaning process takes around 20 minutes and consists of emptying and rinsing the dregs basket (which can contain up to 20 servings) and the drip tray before using one of Jura’s cleaning tablets for an automatic cleaning cycle. Descaling is a much longer process, but you can avoid it by using Claris filters in your water reservoir.
You will certainly need to invest some time to ensure that your machine is clean and will last for years, but its handy reminders and design will make it easy. All the parts that need cleaning or refilling are removable and easy to access. You’ll just need to remember to dismantle and rinse the dual spout after each time frothing milk.
Value for Money – 3.5/5
The Jura Z6 is a luxurious machine with a price tag to match. Although the cost is consistent with other Jura models, we were still disappointed to find that the milk container is not included. You can purchase their compatible stainless steel milk container separately.
Aside from that, the Jura Z6 includes innovative technology such as the PEP and a high-quality integrated grinder which, alone, would cost you a few hundred dollars. While it’s covered by a two-year warranty (or 6000 coffee brewings, whichever comes first), it’s bound to last you for much longer if you look after it properly. (5) Don’t forget that this is a high-quality product designed and manufactured in Switzerland!
If you really fell in love with this model but the price tag could be an obstacle to your blooming (coffee pun intended) romance, you can check out the cheaper refurbished version.
On the other hand, if you aren’t scared by the price tag and want a machine with all the bells and whistles of the Z6 but with even greater brewing power, check out this smart espresso machine with its dual grinder and thermoblock system instead.
Things we liked:
- Pulsed extraction and pre-infusion for best extraction
- Tons of customizable brewing options
- Intelligent Water System tracks water quality
- Excellent build quality
Things we didn’t like:
- Time consuming to clean and maintain
Do Not Buy The Jura Z6 If…
- You don’t need milky options – Be realistic: are you actually going to use all the milk frothing options or are you more of an espresso and black coffee kind of person? Or perhaps you do like milky coffee, but you already own a separate milk frother? If that’s the case, we recommend buying a more basic model like either the Jura A1 or Ena Micro 1 that focus on espresso, ristretto, and cups of coffee only. Discover the A1 in our review. Though the Ena Micro 1 has recently been discontinued, you can still read our full review and find it from alternative sellers online.
- You want a more budget-friendly superautomatic coffee machine – If you prefer a humbler superautomatic coffee and espresso machine that produces quality coffee without breaking the bank, we think you’re going to love the Gaggia Brera. Available at a very competitive price, this superautomatic coffee machine is an example of authentic Italian design and makes coffee that doesn’t disappoint. Sure, you’ll have to steam the milk manually, but isn’t that what a true barista would do? Read more about the Brera in our full Brera review.
- You want even more options – Do you want to be able to play with even more features and settings and are not scared of the price? And by “more features” we don’t just mean more drinks, we’re talking about artificial intelligence and app connectivity! If that’s already making your coffee senses tingle, go check out the Jura Giga 6.
The Verdict On The Jura Z6
The Jura Z6 is an incredible superautomatic coffee machine with an elegant, award-winning design that would make any kitchen shine. Given its price tag, we only recommend it to those who want to make a bold statement with a high-end model and can comfortably afford to do so.
Though we can all fantasize about having one in our homes, the Z6 is also an ideal machine for the office. Have you got a large budget and are looking for a versatile high-end automatic coffee machine? Then the Jura Z6 has your covered.
- (n.d.). Company Awards. Retrieved from https://www.jura.com/en/about-jura/News/2016/20160202-if-design-award-z6
- Butterworth, M. (2016, March 7). Grinding for a Purpose. Retrieved from https://freshcup.com/grinding-for-a-purpose/
- Kilbride, D. (2017, June 8). How Does Pressure Affect Espresso Quality?. Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2017/06/how-does-pressure-affect-espresso-quality/
- Callow, C. (2017, May 22). Something in the water. Retrieved from https://www.caffeinemag.com/articles/water-for-coffee
- (n.d.). Warranty. Retrieved From https://us.jura.com/en/customer-care/terms-conditions/warranty