8 Best Low Acid Coffee Brands (Bold In Flavor And Easy On The Stomach)
- 1. Puroast Organic House Blend
- 2. Java Planet Organic Medium Dark Roast
- 3. Mommee Coffee Half Caff Organic Coffee
- 4. Flax Coffee Coffee & Flaxseed Blend
- 5. Tieman’s Fusion Coffee
- 6. Volcanica Low Acid Coffee Blend (Our Top Pick!)
- 7. Volcanica Komodo Dragon Coffee
- 8. Volcanica Hawaiian Kona
- For The Best Coffee Flavor - Keep It Simple
The acids in coffee are what give it the bright, tart flavors that many find so appealing. But for those with sensitivities, they can also lead to heartburn, acid reflux or tooth decay.
To ensure that no one is deprived of a delicious morning brew a niche market of purveyors offering low acid coffees has emerged. They’re offering coffees that save your stomach without sacrificing the bold flavors you know and love.
TOP PICK: Low Acid Coffee Blend (Volcanica)
Low acid coffees are sometimes criticized for lacking flavor, but not this blend by Volcanica. Handpicked beans from low altitudes (Brazil, Sumatra + more) to create a blend that is easy on the stomach with huge flavor.
Acidity is measured on the pH scale, which ranges from 0 (extremely acidic) to 14 (extremely basic) with pure water falling square in the middle at 7. For reference, most coffees typically come in around 5 on the scale which is actually less acidic than juices like orange (3 - 4) or cranberry (2 - 3). Surprisingly, darker roasts often have less acid than lighter.
PRO TIP: You can get even less acid in your coffee by making cold brew. For a look at this popular technique, read our article with instructions and a list of benefits. You can even make cold brew in a French press!
If you have a favorite coffee but you want to tone down the acid, take a look at our article on coffee acidity. But if you're looking for a cup of joe that's known to have less acid, here's a list of eight beans that fit the bill.
|Puroast Organic House Blend||CHECK PRICE →|
|Java Planet Organic Medium Dark Roast||CHECK PRICE →|
|Mommee Coffee Half Caff Coffee||CHECK PRICE →|
|Flax Coffee Coffee and Flaxseed Blend||CHECK PRICE →|
|Tieman’s Fusion Coffee||CHECK PRICE →|
|Low Acid Coffee Blend (Volcanica)||CHECK PRICE →|
|Komodo Dragon Coffee (Volcanica)||CHECK PRICE →|
|Hawaiian Kona (Volcanica)||CHECK PRICE →|
Puroast Coffee’s founders set out to create a brew that met certain taste qualities - savory, rich and smooth - and stumbled upon the remarkably low acidity of the resultant brew as a side benefit. They source their beans from Venezuela and favor a dark French Roast. (Wondering what French Roast means? We've got the answer here.)
Puroast low-acid coffee uses wood-fired roasting, the way coffee growers themselves enjoy the fruits of their labor. The result is a coffee that claims to deliver dark, bold flavors while being 70% lower in acid than competitors, as well as 5 times higher in antioxidants.
In a unique and highly-regarded move, they even recruited a research scientist to lend credence to their claims. If you suffer from ulcers, heartburn or acid reflux, this is a product you can trust.
- 70% lower in acid than traditional coffees
- 5 times higher in antioxidants than regular coffee
- One of the few certified Kosher options
- Backed by scientific research
- The least expensive option on the list
- Some report a bitter or bland flavor
- Large volume pre-ground bags are prone to going stale
Java Planet Organic Coffee is a great option for those looking for a low acid product with a lighter roast. While most low acid offerings favor a dark roast to further remove tartness, many consumers find dark roasts too bitter. Java Planet offers a medium (along with dark, French, and espresso) roast in order to appeal to all palates.
The other major selling point of Java Planet beans is their commitment to including the date of roasting on every bag of beans. This ensures that you know precisely how fresh the product is.
They source their exclusively Arabica beans from Guatemala where they are shade grown without the use of pesticides. The flavors of the medium roast coffee are described as floral and chocolate, with notes of caramel and allspice wrapped up in a dark chocolate and pecan finish.
Java Planet also carries the certified USDA Organic label, which we cover in detail in our article on organic coffee beans.
- Offered in a variety of roasts from medium to very dark
- The date of roasting is labeled on every bag to ensure freshness
- Exclusive use of pesticide-free Arabica beans
- Certified bird friendly
- Flavors can be bland or muted in a lighter roast without acid
- Not available pre-ground for those without access to a grinder
Mommee Coffee is marketed towards women in all stages of child-bearing. From trying to conceive through pregnancy and breastfeeding, women are often advised to limit caffeine and take dietary precautions as stomachs can be more sensitive. It was devised by a pregnant woman to fill a void she found in the coffee market. Which is not to say that men and women in any life-phase can’t enjoy it!
Mommee Coffee is processed using a water method that promises to avoid the use of harsh chemicals during decaffeination. Additionally, it is certified USDA organic, fair trade and low in acid making it an ideal guilt-free choice. The company offers a range of caffeine choices -- decaf, quarter-caf, half-caf, and full caf -- but the half-caf is popular for striking the right balance between energy and sensitivity.
The beans have been tested and found to have acid levels five times lower than commonly available coffees. They are particularly low in chlorogenic acid, which is considered the major contributor to acid reflux.
- Beans are available in a range of caffeine content
- A water processing method avoids the use of any harsh chemicals
- Particularly low in acid reflux-causing chlorogenic acid
- One of the more expensive options on the list
- Dark roasts with low acid content can be burnt-tasting
This unusual offering combines roasted flaxseeds with roasted Arabica coffee beans to yield a uniquely flavourful low acid blend. Due to their natural alkalinity, flax seeds are an obvious choice for neutralizing coffee’s acids and make it possible to enjoy this blend at a medium roast. They also provide the added benefits of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.
Flax Coffee also claims that their product assists in weight loss thanks to the metabolism-boosting effect of omega-3s and the high fiber content of flax seeds themselves. Other potential benefits of flax include improved brain function and clearer skin, though science has not always backed these.
Flax Coffee uses a slow, low-heat roasting process to highlight the smooth, nutty flavors of this superfood blend. The resultant brew has a well-rounded, buttery mouthfeel with fruity flavors reminiscent of apple cobbler.
- Bonus antioxidants, omega-3s, vitamins and minerals through the inclusion of flax seeds.
- Using flax to neutralize the acids means there are more options for sourcing beans and darkness of roast.
- Excellent customer service -- this company stands behind their product.
- Some people with sensitive stomachs negatively respond to the high fiber content.
- Has a taste that is distinct from pure coffee and not for everyone.
- Always sold pre-ground.
Tieman’s Fusion Coffee offers another blended option, in this case through the incorporation of Matcha Green Tea, Rooibos Red Tea, and Goji berry powders. As a starting point, they source 100% Arabica beans from Guatemala and Ecuador, with Colombian beans for great balance. Then they optimally blend and roast them for a low acid brew.
The addition of Matcha green tea is said to boost energy for 5 -7 hours, the Rooibos Red Tea settles the stomach, and Goji berry powders offer anti-inflammatory benefits. Tieman’s Fusion Coffee offers five times the body’s daily requirements for anti-oxidant protection.
They pride themselves on still offering a delicious brew that is “coffee first”. This is a drink that was designed with coffee lovers in mind and the additives are there to enhance, rather than mask, the delicious natural coffee flavors.
- More anti-oxidants than pure coffee.
- The teas and Goji berry additives provide health benefits beyond simply low acidity.
- Available either pre-ground or as a whole bean.
- A rich, full-bodied taste and creamy mouthfeel.
- More expensive than pure coffee beans thanks to pricey additives.
- Big coffee fans will likely not enjoy the way the addition of tea influences the flavor.
6. Volcanica Low Acid Coffee Blend (Our Top Pick!)
This delightful Low Acid Coffee Blend comes from Volcanica Coffee – a leading online coffee bean company that supplies some of the finest gourmet coffees on the market. Volcanica’s large variety of whole bean options are sourced from the best growing regions around the world, and especially those defined by rich, volcanic growing soil – a condition renowned for yielding incredibly high-quality beans.
The blend itself is made from beans that are naturally low in acidity, which brings the added benefit of not needing to be darkly roasted to achieve that low acid label. The beans are sourced from Arabica varietals in lower altitude growing regions like Brazil and Sumatra. These factors allow this exquisite blend to deliver a unique flavor profile that is both scrumptiously low-key and naturally gentle on your stomach.
- High-quality beans sourced from Arabica plants from regions including Brazil and Sumatra
- A low acid blend. This one is gentle on the stomach but impressively maintains a full flavor profile at the same time.
- Guaranteed freshness. Volcanica only roasts coffees after you place your order
- Affordable option
- To some, a blend is not as desirable as pure, single origin beans
- Taste can be less predictable with a blend
BEST SUITED FOR: The adventurous coffee drinker who wants a change from strictly single origin bean brewing, but who requires that low acidity, gentle-on-the-stomach experience.
Of course, Volcanica coffee doesn’t stop at their Low Acid Coffee Blend. This high-quality company has some other excellent low acid options to choose from. Case in point: Komodo Dragon Coffee.
Komodo dragons – the largest lizards in the world – live freely on the Indonesian island of Flores. But they aren’t the only amazing thing coming from the island paradise. Volcanica’s Komodo Dragon coffee beans grow from the abundance of fertile, volcanic soil present there. They are medium roasted, wet-hull processed, and notably lower in acidity – an attribute that is accentuated by the processing method.
The flavor profile includes floral, chocolate, and woody notes, and to top it all off, our friends at Volcanica have managed to keep them available at a very reasonable price.
- A low acid coffee that delivers floral, chocolate, and woody notes
- Guaranteed freshness. Volcanica only roasts coffees after you place your order
- Pure Komodo beans. Not part of a “Komodo blend”
- Very well priced
- Earthier coffee means it may not be desirable for those looking for a brighter flavor
BEST SUITED FOR: Anyone looking for a mellow coffee from an elite coffee-growing region… and who doesn’t want to break the bank in the process.
If you’re a fan of supporting a “grown in the U.S.” coffee experience, or if you just want to experience some of the best coffee in the world, another excellent Volcanica option is Hawaiian Kona. Defying the company’s typical desire for high altitude beans, it falls in line with the volcanic soil part of the deal, as it’s grown in the rich earth of the Hawaiian islands – a region that has become famous for its exceptional coffees grown at low altitudes.
These particular beans are grown on the slopes of Kona, a district on the Big Island of Hawaii. The climate on these slopes is absolutely ideal for coffee plants, with a mild climate year-round and protection from the hot sun – these beans are actually Shade Grown – ensuring that the coffee trees are in the ultimate environment for growing low acid coffee.
These beans are classified as “Extra Fancy”, which is the highest category out of the 8 different levels of quality for Kona beans. It is also guaranteed to be “pure Hawaiian Kona Coffee,” meaning it hasn’t been “watered down” by other inferior beans in a blend. The beans are dry-processed and medium roasted, delivering very gentle hints of acidity and silkiness. Flavor notes include floral, fruity, and citrusy elements, along with an undercurrent of caramel and nuts.
- A low acid coffee with a complex and rich taste
Extra Fancy. This is the highest grade of Hawaiian coffee in existence.
- Guaranteed freshness
- Volcanica only roasts their beans after you place your order.
- Pure Kona beans. Not part of a “Kona blend”.
- Can be very expensive
BEST SUITED FOR: The avid coffee enthusiast looking for low acidity coffee beans grown in one of the most elite regions in the world.
For The Best Coffee Flavor - Keep It Simple
All of the options reviewed in this article are great for certain subsets of the population. But if you’re looking for an all-around pleaser with low acid and great flavor, opt for Volcanica Coffee's Low Acid Blend. Their ability to offer a variety of roasts shows their faith in the quality and flavor of their beans. And their commitment to roasting beans only before they are shipped guarantees the freshness of the coffee arriving at your doorstep!
Now that you've selected the right beans, learn how to brew with them with your brewer of choice. We've got guides specifically for all pour-over coffee makers or for whatever coffee maker you have at hand. Don't have a coffee maker but still want to make coffee? No problem, we've got a guide for that too!
If you enjoyed this round-up, please share it with your friends.