Peet’s Coffee Subscription Review: Is it Any Good?
If you’re a coffee-lover, there’s nothing more exciting than opening your door to a delivery of freshly roasted beans, especially if they were carefully chosen to suit your tastes.
Well, that’s what you get with a Peet’s coffee subscription. Keep reading for all the details to find out if this subscription box is right for you.
The subscription service from Peet’s Coffee has provided a way for me to expand my taste buds, my knowledge of coffee, and it’s an easy way to dip your toe into trying new flavours.
The Peet’s Coffee Subscription Review
Peet’s Coffee has worked its way into becoming one of the biggest companies in the world. Over the course of fifty years, Peet’s coffee has expanded their repertoire while maintaining their founder’s commitment to quality (1).
“Everybody was drinking coffee that came out of a can, but Alfred was a purist rooted in the European tradition.”
You can, therefore, expect your coffee subscription box to include premium beans with a variety of roast levels and flavor profiles. Keep reading to find out what else you can find.
- Coffee is shipped within 24 hours of roasting
- Can choose small batch, single-origin, or blend subscription
- Can opt for whole bean or ground coffee
- Not a huge coffee selection
- Only delivers once a month
Coffee Selection – 3.5/5
Peet’s selection is limited to their coffees. In comparison, some coffee subscription boxes, like Trade Coffee and Craft Coffee, get coffee beans from various roasters, allowing them to offer hundreds of options.
At present, if you choose your beans, there are 53 coffees available with Peet’s. This is certainly plenty to keep any coffee enthusiast busy.
Membership Options – 4/5
There are two categories of Peet’s subscription box. The first, frequent brewer, lets you choose your beans, grind, and delivery schedule. It’s a great option if you know what you like and want to ensure you never run out.
Alternatively, a curated subscription offers three options, and there’s a handy quiz to help you decide between them.
You can choose to get 1, 2, or 3 pounds of coffee at a time, either as whole beans or pre-ground.
The small-batch option delivers limited release, hand-roasted coffee. The single-origin subscription, which is somewhat similar to what Moustache Coffee Club Subscription offers, provides beans from a particular growing region, curated to your taste (2). And the signature blend option offers one of Peet’s famed signature blends.
However, once a month is the only delivery frequency.
Price – 4.5/5
Peet’s subscriptions have reasonable prices because most of their offerings stem from their regular stock of beans. The most affordable one is priced at $16 per month.
The exception is the small-batch subscription, which may be the best value despite being the most expensive.
It provides access to unique coffees you might not otherwise experience for just an extra dollar or two, a feature of the good coffee subscription. In any case, they offer free shipping within the U.S. if you purchase two or more pounds.
Overall Experience – 4/5
Peet’s coffee subscription delivers premium coffee from around the world to your doorstep. It provides the opportunity to try beans you might not otherwise consider, a great way to find new favorites.
Notably, all coffee is shipped within 24 hours of roasting so that you can enjoy a cup of coffee at its freshest, as Alfred Peet originally intended (3).
Do Not Buy If…
- You prefer smaller batches of coffee. – If you prefer a subscription box that offers several smaller samples of different coffees, check out our Angel’s Cup coffee subscription review.
- You want coffee more than once a month. – If the idea of waiting a whole month for every new coffee delivery doesn’t appeal, you might prefer a subscription with more frequent delivery, like Mistobox.
- You want to learn more about your coffee. – Peet’s website is rich in information about each of their coffees, but if you’d prefer a subscription with an educational component, check out Driftaway Coffee or our Atlas Coffee Club review. With each coffee, you get a beautiful postcard containing the story behind the beans.
If you’re looking for a pound or more of specialty coffee delivered monthly and curated to your taste, consider a Peet’s subscription box. You won’t be disappointed.
- Hof, K. (2016, November 15). The Man Who Taught the World to Drink Coffee. Retrieved from https://sprudge.com/peets-biography-104696.html
- Pipunic, A. (2015, September 14). Everything You Need to Know About Single Origin Coffees. Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2015/09/everything-you-need-to-know-about-single-origin-coffee/
- The Benefits of Fresh Roasted Coffee and Fresh Ground Coffee. (2017, October 20). Retrieved from https://www.haymancoffee.com/blogs/coffee-blog/the-benefits-of-fresh-roasted-coffee-and-fresh-ground-coffee