Hario Cold Brew Bottle Review
The Home Grounds crew likes a nice, smooth cold brew. Whether as a stand-alone drink or incorporated into ice cream or ice lollies, we love the low acidity but not all the work it can take to make it.
The Hario cold brew bottle may have just solved this puzzle for us. It’s made of heat-proof glass and sports a lovely wine bottle silhouette. Keep reading our Hario cold brew bottle review to see if this is the best cold brew maker for you.
Summary: Hario Cold Brew Bottle
It’s easy-to-use and produces a delicious cup. Think of this as top-shelf quality with training wheels.– Blue Bottle Coffee (1)
Hario Cold Brew Bottle Review
Since cold brew coffee takes longer than conventional filter coffee methods, the less babysitting, the better. Ideally, it should be easy to clean and contain as few components as possible.
Also, because no heat is applied to the coarse coffee grounds, the fine mesh basket has to allow optimal immersion while keeping particles from entering the final brew. And the Hario Cold Brew Bottle fits the bill.
The Hario Name and Quality
Established in 1921 as a manufacturing company for heat-proof laboratory glassware, Hario has dominated the coffee and tea industry in Tokyo and abroad since 1948 (2).
Its iconic V60 pour-over coffee maker and Skerton coffee grinder are known throughout the specialty coffee industry for their quality and aesthetic appeal. And this Hario cold brew bottle is no exception.
With an elegant, wine bottle silhouette and the classic Hario quality glassware we know and love, this Hario cold brew bottle makes some delicious cold brew. Keep reading to find if this is the right cold brew bottle for you.
Ease of Use: 5/5
The Hario cold brew bottle has three basic components: the glass carafe, a fine mesh strainer, and a cap.
The first thing we love about this is its filtration system. The fine mesh basket effectively minimises the amount of particles that go into the final brew—producing a smooth and delicious cup.
To make cold brew, fill the mesh basket with 55 grams of coarse-ground coffee, pour room-temperature water into the max fill line, place the stopper on, and gently swirl to start the extraction process (3). After eight hours in the fridge, your cold brew is ready to serve and enjoy.
The glass bottle is made using Hario’s classic heat-proof glass, while the cap, stopper, fine mesh basket, and filter are made from silicone, polypropylene, and polyester resin.
In daily use, they seem to be durable and perform well.
All components are dishwasher-safe.
With a 650ml, this Hario cold brew bottle makes enough cold brew coffee for two 325 ml servings.
Though this cold brew coffee maker won’t be able to serve a crowd, its sleek design will fit any small or standard-sized fridge.
For the price, this Hario cold brew bottle is worth every dollar. The glass bottle serves as both a carafe and a brewing vessel.
Once you’re done with the coffee grounds, empty the fine mesh basket, place it into the dishwasher, and serve right out of the glassware.
While you’ll most likely drink all the cold brew within a day, the silicone stopper will keep it fresh in the fridge for a few days.
Things We liked
- The wine bottle silhouette
- A reasonably wide palette of colours to choose from
- It’s ease of use
- Makes cold brew in 8 hours
Things We Didn’t Like
- Small capacity
- No ability to customise cold brew recipe
- Not suitable for every household because of the glassware
Do not Buy the Hario Cold Brew Bottle If…
- You want a lot of cold brew – For making large batches of cold brew coffee, we recommend the Takeya cold brew bottle. With a similar form factor, the Takeya cold brew bottle brews up to 64 ounces per batch.
- You need a set-and-forget cold brew system – If you’re looking for a fuss-free version, we’d recommend the Oxo cold brew system. Just measure in your ground coffee, add water, and let it sit for 12-24 hours. To serve, just flip the switch.
- You want to experiment with your cold brew – With the Hario cold brew bottle, there is only one right way to make a cold brew. But if you want to experiment with other ratios and flow rates, we’d highly recommend the Yama Cold Brew tower. This impressive craftsmanship lets you customise your water’s flow rate through the coffee bed and makes cold brew in only 3 hours.
The Hario cold brew bottle is the perfect cold brew coffee maker for anyone who needs all the fridge space they can get. The elegant wine bottle carafe serves as both the brewing vessel and server. Also, everything is dishwasher-safe, which makes cleanup a breeze.
- Blue Bottle Coffee. (2021). Blue Bottle Reviews – The Hario Cold Brew Bottle [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha4sHjYKLwc
- Dempsey, J. (2022, September 21). Celebrating 100 Years of Hario and How I Came To Love This Brand. Eight Ounce Coffee; Eight Ounce Coffee. https://eightouncecoffee.ca/blogs/news/celebrating-100-years-of-hario-and-how-i-came-to-love-this-brand