Classic and timeless – Craved by many, but mastered by few. This is a simple yet authentic recipe that will pick you up and throw you down at the same time.
- 4 oz freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1½ oz Irish Whiskey high quality
- 1–2 oz lightly whipped cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
Brew strong coffee
Combine the brown sugar and coffee in your cup.
Stir until completely dissolved.
Add the Irish whiskey and stir thoroughly.
Lightly whip the cream.
Pour the cream over the back of the spoon very carefully.
Optional: Add a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg to garnish.
- Unsweetened cream is best, as the drink is already very sweet. You’ll want the whipped cream to complement, not compete with, the rest of the drink.
- While some recipes suggest espresso, regular brewed coffee is the way to go here.
- Get your ingredients ready beforehand and time your coffee brewing to have it as hot as possible.
- Preheat your vessel by filling it with hot water to help keep the coffee warm as you assemble the drink. (#4 on our list of ways to keep your coffee hot).
- Choose a stylish glass vessel. Believe it or not, using a traditional Irish coffee glass or clear Irish coffee mugs will affect the taste.
- Don’t skimp on the whiskey – use a top quality brand such as Jameson’s Irish Whiskey.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 2
- Category: drinks
- Cuisine: drinks
Keywords: Irish coffee