Proctor Silex Coffee Maker: Your Grandma Could Use It Too
After trying out this product, I can claim that the Proctor Silex coffee maker is so easy to use that your grandma could pour herself a cup too. Quick, excellent brew, incredibly simple, smart, and stylish design. These features make this coffee machine one of your top 10 must-have kitchen appliances.
Whether you want a “backup” coffee maker for friends and family or to brew a perfect pot of coffee each morning, this machine has got you covered. I have reviewed all the factors, and most importantly—how to use a Proctor Silex Coffee maker and whether it is worth it.
Summary: The Proctor Silex Coffee Maker
- Features auto-pause option, which helps you get one cup shortly
- Capable of brewing 10 cups in under five minutes
- Durable materials with a 3-year warranty
Great drip coffee machine without all the bells and whistles but with a few extra features.– Customer Review
Proctor Silex Coffee Maker Review
Hamilton Beach Brands Holding Company built Proctor Silex coffee makers.
I believe the Company is very well positioned to continue expanding its brands and product offerings as it continues to make progress with its strategic initiatives to increase revenue, drive margin expansion and generate strong cash flow over time.
Using their product line, I discovered that this company revolutionized new technology development. Here is how.
Design – 5/5
Proctor Silex 10-cup coffee is made of high-quality materials, yet its black colour gives a severe and sophisticated look. This coffee maker is compact and small, and its design makes it durable.
A light on the switch indicates whether the coffee maker is on or off, so you get a warning if you need to turn it off.
Another great design feature is the lid that covers the entire coffee pot lip, which reduces the likelihood of the lip of the glass pot cracking. This enhances the longevity and quality of this coffee maker.
Before we dive into Proctor SIlex coffee maker features, remember that you must operate this machine on a level surface to prevent it from tipping.
Features – 4/5
Proctor Silex coffee maker has a removable coffee basket for easy cleaning. You can turn around the borosilicate glass carafe so that the handle fits inside the machine. Since borosilicate glass resists acid degradation and chemicals, it’s unpolluted and safe to drink from (1). Please never use a carafe in a microwave oven or range top; don’t set it on a cold or wet surface.
Once you’ve removed the carafe, the drip pauses in the basket. What’s more, a removable water spout makes it easy to remove the coffee basket. When pouring coffee, make sure the carafe lid is securely in place and do not use force.
Note: This machine misses a water gauge and has no auto turn-off. The lack of this feature can cause water to leak down the sides while brewing.
But you can prevent your coffee from overflowing from the filter basket in the following ways:
- Do not exceed the recommended serving amount for decaffeinated coffee.
- To ensure the lid is completely closed, press firmly on it. If the filter basket overflows, unplug the coffee maker and allow it to cool before removing the basket (2).
Some days you’ll be in a hurry and unable to wait for a full pot to brew. That’s the moment when you’ll need an auto-pause feature. Proctor Silex coffee maker helps you pour a cup before the entire brew process has been completed (pause it, get your cup, and resume it).
Coffee Flavour – 3.5/5
The Proctor Silex isn’t a specialty coffee maker, but it makes a tasty brewed cup. I tested it with a pre-ground dark roast and a freshly ground medium roast. In both cases, I was impressed by a smooth cup with no bitterness. However, I would recommend splurging on a more expensive model if you want to get the most out of a light roast single-origin coffee.
I found the best results came from adding slightly more ground coffee to the basket than I normally would. This is especially true if you enjoy a boldly flavoured cup.
Ease of Use – 5/5
You will be amazed at how easy it is to use; just turn around the shower head and ensure the filter basket is fully seated. For each cup of coffee we made, I put one tablespoon of coffee into the filter in the basket and turn around the shower head. Next, I put cold tap water into the carafe and close the lid firmly.
Water extracts a number of volatile flavour and aroma compounds, which contribute to coffee flavour.
Finally, turn the switch ON, turn it OFF, and unplug it once everything is finished.
You can brew up to 10 delicious coffee cups in about five minutes.
And if you want one cup of coffee, take advantage of the Auto Pause & Pour option.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Before making your coffee, you must clean the product. To clean the interior, you’ll need to fill the water reservoir with plain white vinegar and place the empty carafe on the keep-hot plate. Next, plug it into an electrical outlet and turn it on. And once the brew cycle is complete, empty the carafe and let it cool. Lastly, you’ll need to clean the exterior once the coffee maker is unplugged. Ensure not to use abrasive cleaners, as they might cause scratches.
Note: Both the glass carafe and the brew basket are dishwasher safe.
Furthermore, if you want to voice control or add to your routines, you can plug into any Smart Plug that supports Alexa, Google Home, or Siri.
Value for Money – 4/5
Proctor Silex 10-cup coffee maker justifies a price tag for users on a budget. Sure, other cheap coffee machines try their best too. This machine has three years of warranty length, and that’s enough when you realize how many coffee pots you make per year!
Things We Liked:
- Fantastic auto-pause feature
- User-friendliness at its best
- Beautifully designed
- Affordable price
Things We Didn’t Like:
- No option for an auto turn-off feature
- No option for a brew timer
Do Not Buy Proctor Silex if…
- You want a more programmable coffee maker—Proctor Silex 10-cup coffee maker is great for brewing a coffee at the highest standard, but if you want a more programmable coffee maker, check out other coffee drip machines.
- You want a more attractive look—Proctor Silex 10-cup coffee maker is an elegant machine, but if you want to find a more “artsy” and retro aesthetic look, you should go with a beautiful coffee maker like the Smeg drip machine.
- You want a brew timer feature—In case you want your coffee maker to brew coffee up to 24 hours in advance, you should pick the Cuisinart DCC-3200. Have a fresh pot every morning without spending your time on the process.
The learning curve is steep, and that is crucial when considering the best coffee machines for your home. In this Proctor Silex review, we’ve seen how it’s easy to learn to operate with this machine. But if you’re looking for a coffee machine that does the job while you’re still sleeping, this isn’t the machine for you. And if you like manual controls and can’t live without your “sweet little coffee morning ritual”, don’t think twice—choose the Proctor Silex 10-cup coffee maker.
- Shop Kablo. What Is Borosilicate Glass And Why Is It Better Than Regular Glass? Retrieved from https://shopkablo.com/blogs/the-reformist/what-is-borosilicate-glass/
- Manualsdir. Manuals Directory. Retrieved from Proctor-Silex 10 Cup Coffee Maker (black)-48351 User Manual – https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/740700/proctor-silex-10-cup-coffee-maker-black/